12/22/2006

Snakes on a Road

This day started out with a little breakfast, and a little surfing. After housing three mini boxes of corn flakes con leche, and resting in the hammock for a few, we took off for the beach. The swell was up, and the breaks were a bit better than the past two days. I got a few good rides on the ol’ 7’6” McTavish, which is a great board despite its Scottish sounding origin. There were more people out, but they were respectful and everyone got a turn. The kooks were in effect, which can get annoying when you give them opportunities to surf perfectly good waves and they blow it. I only give these people one shot, and if they don’t prove themselves I’ll drop in on them. Being new to the sport, they don’t really notice anyway and have no ill feelings. After a pretty decent surf session, we had to head back to Tamarindo to get some cash and do some errands.

The bike ride wasn’t grueling, but it was about 20k! It took me about 45 minutes, and I have no idea how long it took John. He pissed me off a little on the ride so I just went ahead at my own pace and left him on his own. It’s a dick move, I know, but I really didn’t give a shit at the time. The countryside is really beautiful, and you don’t get to see as much of it when you’re driving in an SUV down. Fields with low lying plants and grass with mountainous backdrops, retained by hand-made fencing were all around. They give you such an “out in the country” feeling; it’s really incredible.

I feel like an idiot for doing this, but I primarily went to Tamarindo to retrieve my misplaced credit card. I had slipped it into my locker through the vent, in which it promptly became stuck. I told myself that I would get it the next time I opened my locker, but that obviously never happened. I had called earlier today to confirm that my card was there, and when the lady at the desk couldn’t find it, she handed the phone to a girl from California who found my card and turned it in for me! What a nice girl. I didn’t see her when I went back, so I couldn’t give her a reward, but I’m sure she feels good about herself for performing such a good deed. Thank you, Arie, thank you.

After doing errands, we went and ate at “Wok and Roll,” a Sushi and Asian food place that served us relatively bland stir fry, but it was a good, filling meal anyway. We then hopped on our steel horses and rode home.

On the ride home, it became dark. It was too dark to see the road in some parts, and I’m amazed that neither of us took a spill on the sketchy dirt road. We had to be helped across a small creek by a man with a flashlight, but he was happy to help us and it worked out perfectly.

Once back, we had a beer and talked to the guys at our hostela. One of them told us that we shouldn’t have ridden at night, on account of the snakes which crossed the road. If you accidentally run one over, it would surely see you as a threat and bite. This reminded me of my Cocodrile experience and I am thankful to have, once again, escaped a potentially dangerous situation unscathed. We then had the same dinner that we had the night before, only cooked by the people at the hostela. It was somehow even more delicious the second time around, probably due to their proficiency in cooking fish. Right now I’m watching TV while I type this, and am going to have a beer, and think about being more careful the next time I blindly walk into an unfamiliar situation.

Watching my ass now,

Seamus

No comments: