12/29/2006

Losing It

I’ve been slowly losing track of time. I feel like I wrote yesterday, but it has actually been three days! I’ll give you a recap, but it’s only going to be as good as my memory.

We left Playa Avallana and our cool little hostela on the 22nd. I wasn’t sad to go, but it was a cool place and I could have stayed there for a couple more days. Once back in Tamarindo, we checked back in to our previous hostel and were surprised that it was quite empty. I proceeded to make friends with the people who were outside, so I would have a group to go party with at the Monkey Bar that night. There were some pretty cool Canadian guys, which is the standard around here. Everyone, except me, is Canadian in one way or another. I was also happy to find my buddy Billy, who reminds me of Ian McCauley to a t. We shot the shit, and I convinced everyone that we simply must go out and get completely trashed.

I made a fool of myself, as always, and everyone had some good laughs at my expense. I believe they thought I was quite charming, but I don’t want to know what they’re saying right now! The bar was mostly guys, and played strictly electronic music after the band stopped. The bands down here are awesome; it sounds like you’re listening to a radio! I wish some of the venues in SF had sound this good, because I am often unimpressed by the blaring wall of noise that comes out of places like Annie’s and, less often, the Elbo Room. We partied into the night, probably because the local drug of choice is cocaine.

The cocaine is really prevalent in this town. It is commonly sold for ten dollars a gram, and is only cut with better cocaine. It’s funny to be in a place where the weed goes for 30 dollars a gram (the good stuff) and the cocaine for 10 (it’s all really good, but really bad). Needless to say, that’s probably the main contributor to the drug problem, and people who use those kinds of drugs often are usually shady characters. It seems that crimes against locals are more prevalent than crimes against tourists, as the economy for many areas relies heavily on tourism, and they don’t want the reputation of, let’s say, Colombia.

We finished the night up playing some guitar at the hostela, and then I crashed out and had a nice, deep, sleep.

Holdin’ it down in Costa Rica,

Seamus

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Monkey Bar of JACO! Haha find a good prostitute? Jaco is founded on those and the drugs. But once you are there long enough, there are so cool people. Go to Hermosa and check out the surf and then the organic luch spot! Oh and good places to eat in Jaco...Bubba's tacos (pescado!) or the jaco taco on the corner, across the street from pops- which has the best and biggest batidos ever! Then i think its called break, rush or some kind of surf adjective .. has really good food! Man there is a lot more. One of my friends in living/staying in jaco and now hermosa.. the Parson brothers if you fun into them david and john! They will show anyone a good time.