12/29/2006

Little City Nights

This part of my story takes place on the night of my trip into the forest. It starts when I return, and my need for food which led me out of my room and into town.

I saw Cesar standing in front of a restaurant, so I gave him a “Que Paso,” and stood and talked for a bit. He was talking to the host of the restaurant, a girl from Santa Cruz, CA, named Mariko, who told me that their food was better and cheaper than the place I was considering. I took her advice, and she led me upstairs to the dining floor. The place is built around a tree, so it feels like you’re eating in a tree fort. I saw a girl, Molly, walk up the stairs, and she spoke English to one of the waiters. I said hi and asked her where she was from, and she came and shared my table with me. She turned out to be really cool; she’s from San Diego and has been living and working down here since September. I found out she worked there too, and we just shot the shit and brought some beers up from El Super Mercado. After a few beers and my dinner, we moved inside and I found a guitar to play. I was pretty much able to play guitar for the restaurant, although I don’t know who, besides Molly and Cesar, was actually listening. Good times were had, and then Molly’s boyfriend, Graven, showed up and invited us out to hot springs. I let out a “Fuck yeah,” and we were off. I actually went with Molly, Graven, Mariko, and her boyfriend Mani (I think that’s his name). They were all really cool people, but Graven drove like a madman and I almost got carsick on the way down.

It was way worse than the shuttle I took to Monteverde. He was going about 35 or 40mph down this dirt road that is normally taken at 15mph. The road was a horrible dirt road, and we were sliding all over the place. I told everyone they should probably put their seatbelts on, but they scoffed and ignored my warning. I trusted that Graven wouldn’t crash, because he was looking after his own ass too, but it never hurts to wear a seatbelt! After about half an hour, we arrived at the hot springs.

They were pretty much pools with volcanic water in them. The one we were in was about 80 degrees or so, and the adjacent one was empty. There were two other smaller pools, which were too hot to go in. We swam around, shot the shit, had some beers, and stargazed until 3:30 in the morning when we drove back.

The ride back was slightly less insane, until Graven lost control of the car and spun a 180 on the one and a half lane road. It was a little scary, because there was a cliff to one side. I don’t know how we stayed on the road, but we did, and survived. I made my point about the seatbelts again, and again it was unheeded. The rest of the trip was safe, though, and I think everyone got home alright, except me.

Right after they were out of sight, I realized that I had lost the keys to my room. Now, it being 4 am, there was no one in the office to assist me in any way. I cursed and spat until I devised a plan to get in to the room. I found a ladder, and pulled off some slats of glass from the Venetian blinds. Now, this was right above a plate-glass window, which I was sure would shatter under my weight once I straddled it. Halfway through the window, I was wondering where I’d land when I got in. I was dangling about eight feet in the air with a ladder and rocks on one side, and a tile floor on the other. I pushed off of the wall and fell into the room, aiming for the bed. I actually landed on the bed unscathed, and breathed a sigh of relief. It was then that I decided I would put the blinds and ladder back, and get my sandalos. Upon turning on the light, I realized that there was no doorknob; there was only a keyhole! I needed the key to get into or out of my room! Climbing back out would have been sketchy and stupid, so I succumbed to being a prisoner in my own room. I smoked a hit of weed to vent my frustration and went to sleep.

Upon waking, I realized that no one had come and seen the ladder up against the window, or the blinds taken apart. I packed up my stuff, waiting for someone to notice the break-in, and brushed my teeth. I then started pounding on the door and calling for the front desk lady. She finally came down and I told her that I lost my key. When asked whether or not she had seen the ladder and all that, she replied she had. I asked her why she didn’t check on the room, and she just shrugged her shoulders and claimed ignorance. I don’t know why on earth you wouldn’t investigate something like that, but she might be able to tell me something about it. All in all, it was a weird experience and I got out of there and went straight to La Fortuna.

Keepin’ it real, real crazy,

Seamus

No comments: