1/02/2007

Puerto Viejo

Today I had to get out of San Jose and into Puerto Viejo. I somehow found my way to the Terminal de Caribe with the help of two local girls, and got on a bus. Two minutes after I found my seat, I saw Valerie and Petra get on. Apparently, their seats were right next to mine and we inadvertently rode to Puerto Viejo together. It was an unexpected surprise, and I was glad to have some company. Soon after, a pretty cool guy, Isaiah, got on the bus and we all hit it off immediately. A girl, whom I thought was a Tica, helped us book the entire back row of seats. We all talked, shared all the bags of Nacho Cheese chips and peanuts and raisins that I had bought before the ride. The girl who I thought was a Tica turned out to be from somewhere in Western Europe, and I tried to teach her English in turn for her teaching me Spanish. Neither worked very well, but I got a few good words out of it and hope that she did too. She spoke German and Spanish fluently, which I thought was a pretty weird combination. The bus was delayed for two hours because of a car crash, and the entire route was laden with traffic. It was a pretty horrible experience, which was matched by our first night in Puerto Viejo.

We went to a shitty hostel, called “Rockin’ Jay’s,” and it was far from Rocking. The tent area that we had to walk through to get to our room smelled like piss, every single toilet was backed up, and the room just sucked for $15 each a night. We went out to a local bar, which was kind of boring, and then crashed out. I stayed there with Isaiah, and we got the fuck out of there the next morning.

Finding all the good ones,

Seamus

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hahaha I stayed at rocking jays during halloween. Which was funny shit. But I stayed in the hammock for $5 a nite..and got eatten alive by the buggies! no bueno!!! Then this old tico made a wierd concotion for our bits and smelled like sulfur and then smoked with Jay. Is he still dating that really goregous girl that does the horse riding tours? Oh its a little to late but watch out for the drug dealers they have crazy shit... but in Granada, Nicaragua they might actually sell you poo poo!