1/02/2007

La Fortuna Again

Today I woke up in La Fortuna, and met the roommates I had woken up the night before. They were a couple of European girls, Valerie and Petra, from Germany and the Czech Republic, respectively. They were really cool, and we went on a hike to see the La Fortuna Catarata. We walked about three miles to get there, and had to pay about seven dollars to enter. We were rewarded with a hike down 400 steps, and a nice, powerful waterfall.

The waterfall was said to be 75 meters tall, but in actuality it seemed to be about 25. It was still really cool, and the combined rush of wind and sound of water really immersed you in the experience. The only bad part was that we had to climb back up the 400 slippery steps, but it was actually surprisingly easy. We then met a Colombian merchant, who made us coffee and talked for a while. I had to leave them to catch a bus to San Jose, and made my way down the mountain.

Fortunately, I was picked up by a local who gave me a ride halfway down the hill. I gave him 500 colones, and walked in search of a taxi. The taxi I found only cost 200 colones, about 40 cents, and he brought me back to Gringo Pete’s. I made the bus in time to get a carton of milk to eat my granola bar with, and then I was off to San Jose.

Mmm mmm goodness,

Seamus

No comments: